My grandpa Packer celebrated his 90th birthday this past August. We attended the party and spent time with my dad and my aunts, uncles and cousins. Of course the guitars came out about half way through the party. I had to take some video of the event and share it. It brought back childhood memories. My dad and his brothers and sister Gayle had a band 'Simple Dreams'. They pretty much played country music, good country music not this glamour pop stuff that is sold as country today. I still like to listen to the stuff they played, even though most people prefer what is on the radio. The band practiced at our house, which was great - we always got to hear them and watch them play. But it seemed like we always had to go to bed before band practice was over. I remember my mom tucking us in and as soon as she would leave we would climb out of bed and put our ears to the floor so we could continue to listen. I remember camping with my dad and whether we were fishing or waterskiing everyone knew the guitar would come out after dinner. We would listen to his songs sitting around the campfire. I always felt like a celebrity when people from other camps would shout requests to my dad. I dreamed of becoming a big song writer and musician. Well, I have never become the guitar player I thought I would and to date I haven't written a song, but when my dad pulls out his guitar it takes me back to that basement at 417 E. 10145 S. and to the campfires at Pineview Resevoir. Music is the ultimate time machine - sorry Napoleon. The song he (green shirt) is playing is Jaded Lover by Jerry Jeff Walker. Russ, his brother is with him playing lead.
. . . good bye you jaded lover, you undercover queen for a day.
No comments:
Post a Comment