Thursday, February 21, 2008

P is for . . .


On Sunday we were eating dinner and the subject of Paige's birthday (March 9) came up. We asked her what she wanted for her birthday? Paige thought for a while and then said she would like a scripture bag and her own set of scriptures. I don't know if Charmayne was as surprised as I was? But in that moment I was very proud and amazed and humbled. The last thing on my mind at 7 turning 8 was scriptures, I'm sure of it. And it wasn't an answer we coached or even expected to hear. Paige, Brock and Sidney have really enjoyed reading the scriptures nightly for the past several months (we have been reading them nightly for several years but it was always a fight until recently). Brock maybe is still a little more resistant than the girls. Is it paying off?

Of course, as a parent, I couldn't be happy to just give my girl scriptures. Certainly there had to be something more? So I pressed, what else do you want? A build-a-bear she replied. A build-a-bear is a bear factory where you get to see the stuffed animal of your choice stuffed, sewn, dressed, etc. Great! You can have a build-a-bear, what friend would you like to take with you to get one? This sent Paige into deep thought. What friend can I take that doesn't already have a build-a-bear? she thought out loud. Well Brock and Sidney didn't let that thought pass without responding. They both quietly said, I don't have a build-a-bear. Paige thought a little longer and then said, can I take two friends? Now you know what's coming. She said, I want to take Brock and Sid. I'm probably making more out of this than I should, but I am happy that the kids think of each other, that they consider themselves friends as well as siblings.

All the effort on Sunday's, reading the scriptures nightly (it has become easier but it was hard in the beginning), family home evening preparation, making time to be together. I think those of you who have done these things and those who do them now know it isn't always easy. But it is always worth it, especially in these simple moments at the dinner table or in the car talking or just listening to the kids talk amongst themselves. Paige is growing up, she is spreading her wings. We can't wait to see her fly. We just hope it will slow down a little bit. And that the scriptures will always be at the top of her list.

No comments: