Friday, February 1, 2008

I will strengthen thee; I will help thee

Two nights ago we read Barbara Thompson's talk from this past General Relief Society Meeting. There were several things that touched us a family and especially as parents. For her full talk please visit this link http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=2f781b3e50cf5110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1

Here are a few of our favorites: "Dear sisters, love and nurture your children. Tell them you love them. Put your arms around them. Appropriate physical affection will accomplish miracles. Express kind words. Show them by example how to work. Teach them to pray."

"Read to your children. Read from the scriptures. Help them learn that the scriptures will guide them throughout their entire lives. Have family home evening with them. Let them know that family time together is very important to you."

"The greatest help we will have in strengthening families is to know and follow the doctrines of Christ and rely on Him to help us. So often as I have worked with families with problems, I have found myself wishing that these families knew of the Savior and were teaching their children the doctrines of Jesus Christ."

Our lives improve everyday when we try to follow such wise words. We are watching our children mature before our eyes and the confidence the gospel brings into their lives is unmatched by any other influence.

No comments: