Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Just Like the Old Days, But Different. . .

I certainly didn't expect a 13-0 season, which made it that much more sweet. I still have goosebumps when thinking about the game. Imagine listening to 65,000 Alabama fans telling you that you and your team are going to die the night before the game on Bourbon Street and then listening to silence as you hand them their crimson heads! That is as close as I can get to putting what we felt into words.

This whole trip began while I painted my mothers home with Logan this past October. He regrettably said, "why didn't I attend the Fiesta Bowl in 2005?" "That was a once in a lifetime opportunity." Oh really? It gained momentum while I watched the Utes defeat TCU from a sports bar in Toledo, OH. Logan and I celebrated on the phone as we discussed a chance to go to the BCS together. I spoke with my Dad that night as well. After the bulldozer that was the BYU game we patiently waited to see where we would go. And off to New Orleans we went. Just like the old days, but different. Back then we sat in the south end zone of Rice Stadium and watched Utah lose by 30 to the likes of Nebraska and other National powers. Freezing in the cold and snow. We had a blast (even when Logan cried because his feet were numb) although there wasn't much to cheer about. It was time together that strengthened our relationships and our passion for the Utes.

We were in the end zone together again. But the tables have turned, the Utes are the National power now. We told an Alabama fan, while eating breakfast in our hotel, that we were just happy to be here - he asked what our thoughts were on the game. We avoided the debauchery of Bourbon Street and enjoyed Jackson Square, Decatur Street, the Mississippi Riverfront, Margaritaville (thanks Mom) and Gordon Biersch. All while fighting the anticipation of the football game. I wanted a win, Logan was looking for a party and Dad was preparing himself for a broken heart - like so many other times Utah has gotten close. Close enough to break his heart, but not this time. Not even close. We went wild at 7-0, our excitement grew at 14-0 and we lost our voices when Utah scored again making it 21-0. We got the breaks from the very beginning and Logan and I looked at each other and agreed, this in fact was our night. Despair overcame the BAMA faithful with 10 minutes left in the first quarter! Our confidence grew. Even with the score 21-17 early in the third, it didn't feel that close. Alabama fans promised a comeback. But another 79 yard TD drive and the Rammer-Jammers were not heard from again. We jumped the whole night long, Dad left with bloodied shins. When the game ended the celebration didn't. We had to be asked to leave by the Superdome staff. That Alabama fan who spoke to us in the hotel, he found us the next morning and said "just happy to be here, eh?" And we all laughed. The sweet taste of sugar.

Don't bother asking the three of us who the National Champion is. That scoreboard said it all. What a way to bookend the memory of sitting in the end zone together. Just like the old days, but different.
























































4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great story and awesome memory! I'm very impressed with your writing skills nephew!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an amazing new memory you have now! You will hold it in your hearts forever. Time and Travel Together PLUS the best game of the Utes best season ever! Congratulations on a Day Well-Spent!! Thanks for the pics. I'll treasure them. J

Morgan & Keri Woodhouse said...

Even though I had nothing to do with the outcome of the game, I seem to drive around Provo with my head held a little higher and my smile a little wider. Not too many people are bringing up the subject of the Sugar Bowl, but when they do, I am more than willing to say how sweet it is.

goofball said...

Good man Morg! You should hold your head high. Your patience as a Utah Man has paid off. Nothing tastes sweeter than Sugar. Wish you could have been there - I had an extra ticket to the game.