Saturday, January 24, 2009

January 14th
















Only 10 days late. That's what happens when you are the third of four children. Never forgotten, but maybe never a priority either. I think with each kid we have had, the relative attention they receive has diminished. We have gone from never letting Paige fall to not worrying if Braden rolls down the stairs. It really is sad, but we find ourselves laughing everytime he does. The experiment that is our parenting has proven the less attention a child gets, the more confident they become. This is not to say that we ignore Sidney or Braden but they have to compete for more attention than Paige or Brock did and as a result they conduct most of their own trial and error. Which brings me to this post.

Sidney turned 4 on January 14th. We celebrated her birthday and now 10 days later I am posting the events. Sidney is mine, she is daddy's girl. She is the one kid who would choose me over Charmayne if she had to make a choice. And if that doesn't warm a guys heart what does? The other three would take Charmayne in an instant (truthfully, I would pick Charmayne over me too). Sidney does love her mom, I'm not saying that. But she calls me at work and asks when I am coming home. She is dissapointed if I don't tell her that I am shaving - she loves to watch. She enjoys watching sports with me and loves playing them even more. This summer she about lost a tooth making a tackle on Brock's friend Hyrum during their backyard football game - the tooth didn't fall out but it did turn grey. At one of Brock's recent basketball practices I watched her practice dribbling the whole hour. After which she said, Dad I want to play basketball. She's confident and aggresive and that's what happens when you are the third of four children.

We had a party for her and a few of her closest friends. I wasn't home for the party but Charmayne and Paige were. The report was the party was quiet and cute. The girls were polite and never spoke out of turn. Too bad 4 doesn't last. I shouldn't forget to mention that Paige and Brock were just as excited for Sidney's birthday as she was. The first thing Brock did when he got out of bed on Sidney's birthday was walk over to her, hold out his arms, give her a big hug and say happy birthday Sid.

3 comments:

Corbie said...

Touche' on the birth order. Ours got decreasingly less attention child by child and their confidence and independence increased with each one. A party where no one talks out of turn? That is almost too good to be true...

goofball said...

There's a strong argument for large families. Other than it's a bucket of fun :)

30somethingmama said...

I totally agree on the birth order comment. Tell Sid Happy belated from the Chase fam. We've been in the midst of chaos. No excuse but, a good reason.