I hope you all enjoyed our post's last week. Brock and I had hoped to keep you updated with what we were doing. The only activity we engaged in other than baseball was swimming. I was surprised at how much Brock identified with what we were doing. He really enjoyed getting close to the players and watching them warm-up and practice as well as play. Brock had a ball given to him by Glen Sherlock, the Diamondbacks bullpen coach. Ryan Sweeney of the A's signed that ball for him. A Milwaukee Brewers player looked at Brock punching his glove as he watched them take batting practice. This player then turned to me and said "he's ready!", I said he's just waiting his turn. Brock had a chance to show off his baseball skills as well. For a 5 year old he makes great contact on the ball when hitting, has a better than average arm and is improving rapidly at catching the ball with his glove. Baseball was something I shared and continue to share with my dad. I look forward to a lifetime of sharing it with Brock. For me there is something special about baseball, maybe because I was naturally good at it? But I find that each year that passes I appreciate the game of baseball more as compared to other sports. Here are my top five reasons for loving baseball:
5. The beginning of baseball season is a time of renewal as it coincides with spring.
4. The smell of wet dirt and freshly mowed grass as you take the field in the first inning.
3. The sound of steel cleats on concrete.
2. The crack of a wood bat making contact with the ball.
1. Brock. And maybe one day in the not too distant future, Braden.
I could go on all day about why I like baseball. The unhurried pace of a game, statistical reasoning, individual achievement within a team sport, strategy and situation, sunflower seeds, there are a hundred reasons. People say baseball is too slow and too boring. I guess it's not right for everybody, I'm certainly not going to try to change anyones mind. But I know those of you who will follow Brock through his playing days will become baseball fans. The appreciation I have for a simple game has been its ability to bridge the canyons of my life. It connects me to my brothers. It will connect me to my sons.
I hope in some small way you have enjoyed the last few posts as much as I have. Take me out to the ballgame. . .
Preston
No comments:
Post a Comment