Saturday, June 20, 2009

If wishes were fishes. . .

Brock and I attended a father's and son's campout this weekend off the Mirror Lake Highway. It was a great time together. After the campout ended Saturday we headed, with some friends, to Trial Lake to fish. Brock experienced a right of passage every boy deserves - catching his first fish. He caught a nice rainbow trout with a worm. He hooked and reeled the fish in on his own, I was really impressed with his calm determination. He certainly didn't act like it was his first catch. Catching my first fish was pure hysteria. He then caught another rainbow with a worm and power bait, this is the fish pictured. It put up a good fight, but was no match for the now experienced Brock. If you can't tell, he was really proud - as he should have been!

This weekend was a reaffirmation to me of what is right about kids and life. We live in a crazy world but life doesn't have to be crazy. My fondest memories of being a kid aren't the cars my parents drove, or the homes we lived in but spending summer weekends fishing with my dad and brothers at Deer Creek. I'm sure it was hard for my parents to make that time, but those were character building opportunities for me. I'm thankful for parents who gave me what I needed as a boy. I'm thankful for a dad who taught me to fish.

This is Sam showing off his albino trout. Sam's dad fried the fish for the boys to eat, amazingly the only thing left when they were done was a pile of fish bones. Charmayne and I are thankful for great friends who are helping us raise our children.
I'll never forget sitting Sunday evenings on the boat ramp at Deer Creek Reservoir and wishing we had many of the boats that were being trailered, before heading home. For me, maybe wishing a little too hard. But my dad was good to remind me that if wishes were fishes, we'd all have a fry.

No comments: